Friday, April 26, 2019

So... I saw Avengers: Endgame. (No spoilers)

Here's the thing. Today, I fully expected to post a review with my full thoughts on Marvel's latest big Avengers crossover, the ten-years-in-the-making Endgame, that culminates their currently 22-movie long roster, and brings the Infinity Saga to a definitive end. But I won't. At least not today.

And it's not that I didn't have thoughts. I'm frankly worried that if I get going, you won't be able to get me to stop. But there's no adequate way for me to do that without dropping spoilers, even if they're the most seemingly insignificant ones. I also feel like I need to see it again in order to let my thoughts fully process. So I'll instead wait a week until most people have gotten a chance to see it, followed by my full, SPOILER HEAVY thoughts on the movie.

But if you really want to hear what I thought of it on first impressions, I'll give you a brief summary. First, you better be familiar with EVERY entry of the prior MCU, for even the most seemingly insignificant details yields surprising resonance and finality for this film. And believe me, it'll be worth it to get the incredible impact and emotional heft that this movie packs.

As the grand culmination of a long in-the-making saga, it is everything I hoped for it to be, and plenty I wasn't expecting it to be, but was pleasantly surprised by. It is exciting, emotionally powerful, incredibly fun, hilarious at times without upsetting the grim nature, and sends a number of its characters off with a perfect, satisfying note. Even at three hours, this feels like an absolute breeze, and thankfully gives each of the characters a healthy amount of time and equality in the main narrative, with the cast bringing their absolute A-game, some with their best work of the franchise thus far.

Incidentally, there is no post credits clip (quite appropriately I say), so you can leave as soon as the credits begin, but I'd suggest at least staying for the mid credits, which by themselves were emotionally stirring. Of course, it's only one small part of what makes this such a great time at the movies, and easily one of the finest outings of the MCU.


****1/2 / *****

No comments:

Post a Comment